920-885-5549 | 200 Front Street, Suite 2E, Beaver Dam, WI 53916

Visitation Rights

Practice Areas

Meet Our Lawyers

Serving Beaver Dam, Oshkosh, West Bend & Wisconsin

At Derr & Villarreal, our family law attorneys bring more than 50 years of combined experience to your case. We are proven trial lawyers who are also family law mediators. Whenever possible, we are dedicated to helping our clients retain the power to make decisions and to keep the peace by going through the mediation process. We have found that this is the healthy, economical way to solve your family law and divorce issues. We are ready with the personal attention and service to help you move forward to a positive future.

Learn More

West Bend Visitation Rights Lawyer

Protecting Rights of Third Parties in East Central Wisconsin Family Law Matters

A grandparent, great-grandparent, step-parent, or another person who has maintained a parent-child relationship with the child may ask the court to grant them reasonable visitation times with that child. The child’s parents must have notice of the requested visitation for the court to grant visitation rights, and the court must determine that visitation is in the child’s best interest. At Derr & Villarreal, LLC, we are passionate about helping our clients do what is in their children’s best interest.

One of our Oshkosh family lawyers from Derr & Villarreal, LLC will advocate on your behalf when you contact us.

Common Challenges Grandparents Face

The court affords a great amount of deference to the parent’s decision to limit a child’s relationship with a grandparent, or any other third party. The burden for grandparents of children whose parents were never married is higher than for grandparents of children whose parents are married. When paternity of the child has been determined, grandparents of a child whose parents were never married must prove that they maintained a relationship with the child and the child’s parent interfered with that relationship as well as the fact that the grandparent will follow the parents custody determinations.

Reasons to Pursue Custody as a Third Party

  • As a relative of the child, you can ask the court to award you custody if:
  • Both parents are unable to care for the child (for example, a parent is deceased or incarcerated)
  • Neither parent is fit to have care and custody of the child (for example, have abused the child, have substance or alcohol abuse problems, or have abandoned the child)
  • It is in the best interest of the child.
  • Relatives and non-relatives can also pursue a guardianship action to obtain care and decision making for the child.

Call us in Beaver Dam at 920-885-5549, in West Bend at (262) 988-4544, or in Oshkosh at (920) 523-1007 to talk with a compassionate family law attorney at Derr & Villarreal, LLC.

Contact Our Beaver Dam Mediation Lawyers

If you live in Wisconsin and need help with your divorce or other family law matters, call 920-885-5549 or email our team below.